My preaching and teaching tends to lean toward the heavy, or so some say; I don’t really think so, but we do need to choose which road we’re going to take: God’s way or our way!
The first 17 verses of Joel chapter 2 are somewhat sad. They are written to a people who had long made the wrong choice. The Lord said He would bring a great army from the North, (Babylon), and under His control they would wreak absolute havoc on God’s people!
This is not what I intend to talk about here. But in verses 12-17, God calls for His people, one last time, to repent.
- They were given an opportunity to return to God with all of their heart!
- They were to come fasting
- They were to come weeping
- They were to come mourning
These things generally precede joy!
- God called for a sacred assembly (vs. 15) Much like a night watch.
- The people should be gathered
- They should all consecrate themselves – This included:
- The Elders
- The Children
- The infants
- And even people on their honeymoon!
No one was exempt!
Joel 2:18-19 “The Lord will be jealous for His land and take pity on His people …” The Lord’s reply to the people, “I am sending you grain, new wine and oil, enough to satisfy you fully.”
Does that make anyone glad? If you’re happy notify your face!
We have the word of the Lord on it church, “Grain, new wine and oil, enough to satisfy us fully,” is coming our way!
Vs 20 Surely the Lord has done great things!
Vs 21, 22 “Be not afraid, O land; be glad and rejoice. Surely the Lord has done great things:
- The pastures are becoming green!
- The trees are bearing fruit!
- The fig tree and the vine are yielding their riches!
Vs 23, 24 “Be glad and rejoice, the Lord has given you a teacher of righteousness:
- The Lord sends abundant showers! (both the former and the latter rain)
- The threshing floors will be filled with grain!
- The vats will overflow with new wine and oil!
In the 90’s I attended a meeting where I became so discouraged at what I and the ministry team were trying to do for the Lord. On the second day, in the afternoon, the Lord spoke to me and said: “Nathan,” (He knew my name!!) “I am God! I know what I am doing. Rejoice and be glad with what I have given you. You will see my glory as you are glad and rejoice in my blessing!”
I took that word to mean that until I became truly thankful, I really was done!
We become too heavy; too burdened; we forget how to be thankful! Remember the first 17 verses of this chapter, we can be made to be thankful!
Vs 26-27 “You will have plenty to eat, you will be filled!” In fact, you will:
- Learn how to praise His glorious name – because of the wonders He has and will work for you
- Never again be ashamed to be one of God’s people – for you will know that “I am” is your Lord and There is no other God!
These things need to happen, and then …
Vs 28-32 Afterward the Lord will pour out His Spirit on:
- Our sons and our daughters and they will prophesy!
- Our old men will dream dreams!
- Our young men will see visions!
- This prophecy is for everyone – even the servants!
- The Lord will show wonders in the heavens and on earth!
- Blood = salvation!
- Fire = cleansing/purging!
- Billows of Smoke = the anointing/glory of the Lord!
- There will be a universal upheaval
- The sun will become darkened
- The moon will turn to blood
- The Lord will return!
- Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved
- There will be a deliverance for everyone the Lord calls!
The top of our letterhead at Napanee Christian Renewal Centre had this verse Joel 2:19 as a prophetic declaration of that time, once again…
It just may be time to make it a new declaration for this season!!
“I am sending you grain, new wine and oil, enough to satisfy you fully!”
Amen … Even so Lord, come and fulfill your word!